Narrow Water Castle Estate,
Warrenpoint, Co. Down, Northern Ireland
Alina provided advice and consulted on several sensitive and sympathetic alterations, repairs and renovations while residing in the castle apartments for over 6 years. She consulted on series or repairs to the B1 Listed, Tudor style, Former Servant's Accommodation dated 1700 - 1719, building known as Mount Hall. Erected by Francis Hall in 1707. It was the main house before the erection of Narrow Water Castle, built by Roger Hall in 1835 to designs by Thomas Duff. Internally it was converted to servants' accommodation.
To the centre of the roof, the ridge is an octagonal lantern with a swept leaded roof that suffered damages to some weather conditions over the years. The five substantial chimneys, each stuccoed on a common plinth supporting three tall octagonal Tudor style stacks, have also been under some repairs, along with the timber-framed and Tudor headed windows.
Narrow Water Castle is the private home of the Hall family who have lived at Narrow Water since 1670, originally in the Old Narrow Water Keep situated on the shoreline of Carlingford Lough which is now a national monument. Alina consulted on conservation works to the main castle as well. The Narrow Water Castle is a famous country house, dated 1820 - 1839, in Tudor Revival style castle. Constructed in typical to the location ashlar granite. Her work included advice on some works to the main porch entrance that fills space between the clasping buttresses with its deeply chamfered Gothic-headed opening and the Hall family charge. It's carved in sandstone and surrounded by foliated arabesques. Above the main entrance sits a bay window, and above it to the attic level of the main block is a small gabled wall-head dormer. Its gable is coped as the parapet from which it rises. It has a typical attic window with masonry mullion. Over is a heavy cylindrical masonry finial with an ogee cap resting on a panelled plinth, which ties into the gable apex. At parapet level similar slightly larger finials resting on octagonal plinths rise from above the left and right cheeks of the bay window. At this level, the roof has a complex form and the ornamental architectural details required attention.